Tuesday, May 17, 2016

3rd Eczema Flare - Bloody and Weepy

The past two weeks had been traumatizing, frustrating, teary, scratchy, painful and tired.

Vera, you have got mummy traumatized on that fateful night when I did my usual check on you before I went to bed. I saw you awake in the dark, showed me your fingers. This was when I felt something was not right and decided to switch on the torchlight on my mobile to check on your leg.

To my horror, I saw your left leg, all wet and covered with blood. It was all bloody ..... I froze on the spot, not knowing how to react for that very instant but called out to your daddy to switch on the light and cried at the same time. It was a mixture of emotions, I felt your itch, helpless-ness, pain, the anguish and fear in me. Vera, why must you scratch so hard ?

Daddy cleaned up your drippy, bleeding leg and we were undecided on where to bring you, the hospital or a 24hr clinic ? I was more composed after a while and decided to google for a 24 hr clinic instead of going to the hospital as the waiting time would be much longer.

With a big patch of raw skin

The doctor got your wound cleaned and dressed. You walked with a slight limp with the bandaged leg for that night.


Mummy had to pluck up the courage to change your dressing for you the following day as I was so afraid of hurting your wound further. Thankfully,  I managed to change without much fuss from you though the gauze did stick onto some part of your wound.


The wound was much better after the third day.


But I guessed it was really terrible for you. You scratched on your wound yet again. Probably, it's really too much for you to take, you would rather let the pain numb your itch instead.


Few days later, history repeated but this time, you did it on your right leg and ended up with two bandaged knees.


Luckily, I got a tube of La Roche- Posay from #Repairmyskin campaign ran by The Loving Mum. The only cream that soothed your raw wound. I tried some other creams but you cried in pain. I decided to purchase a much bigger tube since this was working well for your wet wound.


The wound on the left leg was dried up by the next day. I have no issues showering you.


Rashes started to spread across your front body and back. Your tender skin changed and felt like crocodile skin instead. The thighs were not spared as well.


Mummy felt "painful" to touch when I have to apply the creams for you.



I tried ways to soothe your itch. I made Rooibos tea and fridged it to make it cold. It did help when I used it to spray and cool down your burning skin.

It has been for two weeks, every night, our sleep and yours were badly interrupted by your itch. You would wake crying, fussing, trying to pull your pants off with all your might so that you can scratch.

On most of the nights, your scratchy time was usually around 12 midnight to 6am before you were really tired and fall back to sleep. There were moments too that you were so tired from battling the itch that you would fell asleep when I was massaging you.


My greatest nightmare came when I saw red patches appearing on your face. The skin started to peel and I was really crossing my finger that your face would not be as bad as your body.


One evening, I was looking at you while you were fussing away (assuming that you are complaining about the itch), mummy could not hold it anymore. I wished I could take your place, bear the itch and pain for you. Mummy cried as I looked at you, I felt so helpless. You felt my sadness and immediately pulled me close to you and gave me your most comforting hugs. I am typing this post with teary eyes as I recollect this scenario.


I hope you would not blame mummy for making you endure the harder journey to recovery. A lot of mummy's friends felt for you and asked me why did I not want to use steroid cream to hold it down?

I have tried it on you when you were a baby, the steroid cream did not work and it thinned your skin instead. Instead, Calecim back then did helped but not for this time.

This was why I chose to take a steroids free journey for you to recover. It is going to take a much longer, harder and painful time but trust mummy that I just want the best way for you to recover, without any steroids intervention.

The route to recovery as per the doctor is about 6-9 months and mummy is bringing you thrice a week for your treatments and will stretch as you get better. Mummy is still observing on how your body reacts to the treatments. It is just like a roller coaster. Just yesterday, you scratched badly on your labia and it bled on both sides. It made things even more challenging as it is going to be very painful when it is in touch with your pee.

Mummy is also harbouring the thought of potty training you so that I can air your wound, not forgetting that there are cracks under your butt cheeks as well. So far Myrrh and Rose Ointment did a great job for this wound.

You are now under going some electromagnetic wave treatment and mummy did saw a vast improvement on your crocodile skin. After the fourth treatment, the crocodile like skin on your body seemed to disappear overnight and got smoothen out. I finally saw your beautiful smile again after so many days. Get well soon, Vera !


Not forgetting to thank yiyi for bringing down the teabags and leggings, Aunty Sabrina for brining us some sprays, body wash, Aunty Mabel for the bottle of korean bamboo salt as well as all other aunties and uncles who dropped mummy a message to ask about you and gave you all their well wishes for a speedy recovery.

And Mummy got pretty lots of PM on doctors, products and supplements recommendation to help with your condition. I really appreciate it and will keep all these suggestions in mind. =)

* I have also updated some information some time back in her second eczema flare in Dec 2015, if you have not read it*

Thank you for reading and if you would like to stay tune for future updates, do follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram !



3 comments:

The Loving Mum said...

Oh my! Didn't know it was this bad. Very brave Vera and Mummy Serene! Recover soon!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. My child has eczema too! Get well soon, Vera!

xavvy said...

@ Claudia , it was this bad ! thanks !! I can see her skin improving after the treatment. Hope to get back my sleep soon !

@ anonymous , thank you ! Hope your child out grows it soon ! Look into the diet, it helps loads for Vera.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...