Thursday, November 15, 2012

Foodie Friday - Kueh Ko Sui

What's for a thursday dessert and a friday morning brekkie for my colleagues ? My virgin attempt in making kuehs.

Kueh Ko Sui, a nyonya dessert, taught by one of my colleagues. Each time, she brought over to my office, I seem to be hooked. She has kindly shared her recipe and yes, time to show my appreciation by making some for her.

Ingredients as follows:
1. 100g - Plain Flour
2. 150g - Tapioca Starch/ flour
3. 350g - Gula Melaka
4. 800/900ml - Water ( Note : I used 850ml of water but the batter was a little too watery. I added another 10g of each of both flour)
5. 100g - White Sugar
6. 1/2 kg - White grated coconut
7. 1 1/2 Tsp of salt
8. Some pandan leaves

* Updated tips : Was told that it's ok for the batter to be watery. Hence, no flour is needed to add. The 20g makes a slight difference to the texture (more firm)
Method :
1. Mix No. 7 & 8 together and steam for 10 mins. (I added pandan leave to make it more fragrant)
2. Mix No. 1 & 2.
3. Bring No. 4 to boil.
4. Chopped No. 3 into smaller pieces and add into No.4. Add No.5. and dissolve them into the liquid. Seieve out the particles after that.
5. Pour mixture of No. 1 & 2 into the liquid and make sure all are dissolve to form a batter.
6. Pour mixture into a plate and steam till cook.
7. Cut the kueh while it's still hot as I realised, it is very sticky when it has cooled, which made it harder to wash.
8. Roll them into the grated coconut and serve. It tastes better when the kueh is chilled.

Linking up with Little Dino Egg's

2 comments:

DinoMama said...

nice! alot of hard work, no wonder they are sold at a price in the bakery.

Do you have oneh-oneh recipe to share too?

xavvy said...

DinoMama, my apologies ! I couldn't read any of my comments on my post until I go into the settings !! So sorry for the late reply.

This is quite easy actually. I'll link up if I managed to get a nice oneh-oneh recipe. I'm also a fan of that !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...