Thursday, June 4, 2009

Steam Cakes

I was like... not again.. I got so sick of preparing the same food for Xavier's breakfast. It's either fruits with HT Cereal or the Heinz Muesli & Apple if I'm lazy.

Chance upon this Steam Cake Recipe @ Little Gastronomy's site.

Hence, decided to try it out and Xavier had them for breakfast the next day.

Something new ... Lemme explore ...

and goes poking to feel the cakes !

Xav went to smell the cakes !

A closer smell .. sniff ... I had always find it funny, when he did the smelling expression!

Aahhhh.. I got it. It's steam cakes !!

And I tried it !!



Ever first time in my whole entire life that I made cakes. To make things worse, the current place I'm staying at does not have an oven. so I can't baked or whip up any dish that requires an oven !!

Dah Tah !! Here's my work ! Piping hot steam cakes !

My opinion: It felt quite heavy. Taste nice definately, just nice, not to sweet nor bland. It tastes like Huat Kuei. but definately not for my taste ! haha !!

My mil likes it though. she claims that it tastes better than those sold in markets ! I take that as a compliment !

Here's the recipe, it makes about 14 cuppies for me. (Originally is 12)

Ingredients:

1. 5 Eggs
2. 300g Super Lite Flour (Prima)
3. 2tsp Baking Powder
4. 1tsp Bicarbonate Soda
5. 150g Castor Sugar (or grind Granulated sugar for a few seconds in the mill)
6. 120ml Milk from Milk Powder (Originally is Coconut Milk)100ml Canola Oil

* you may wish to add in fruits bits. I added blueberries in one or two of them*

Preps:

1. Line 12 aluminium casings with paper cases.

2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar till fluffy then continue to whisk in the oil and milk till well mixed.

3. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda together.
4. Fold the egg mixture into the dry flour mixture. Stir as you fold until all is well mixed.

5. Spoon them into the casing and let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.

Method:

1. In a steamer, put the water to boil.
2. Once the water is boiling, place the cakes in to steam for about 10-15 minutes. Use a wooden stick to poke through and when it comes out clean, the cake is done.
3. Serve warm

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...